Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT DOES A MILITARY CAREER DO FOR YOU ?
- Regular employment either as a commissioned officer or a regular soldier, where you will be given basic as well as extensive training in various fields;
- A possibility to learn and train in various skills;
- An opportunity to operate and carry out maintenance work on cars, helicopters, patrol boats, firearms and other military equipment;
- The opportunity to take part in ceremonial parades and military activities locally and abroad;
- It helps you to form a disciplined character, enabling you to be of service to yourself and to others
- Provides facilities for study and work, locally and abroad, in order to progress and succeed in your military career.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ENLIST IN THE FORCE ?
- Be physically fit according to current military standards;
- Be 18 years of age but not over 25 years in the case of Regular Soldiers.
- Be 18 years of age but not over 25 years in the case of Officer Cadets and Sea going Cadets.
- Be 18 years of age but not over 27 years in the case of Officer Cadets in possession of a University Degree.
- Be 18 years of age but not over 30 years in the case of Air Pilot Officer Cadets.
- Be a Maltese citizen;
- Possess a clean Police Conduct;
- Have a minimum height of 1.57m for males and 1.52m for females;
- Have a secondary level of education to enlist as Gunner;
- Be in possession of an A-level pass in at least two subjects and an O-level pass in an other six subjects of GCE standard or equivalent, to enlist as an Officer Cadet;
- Have the inclination and motivation necessary for military life.
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN BY JOINING THE ARMY ?
- A special monthly allowance and other allowances for specialist qualifications;
- All soldiers receive an annual trade allowance if they work in their trade;
- Sunday duty allowance;
- Free military clothing and equipment;
- Free medical care and medicines;
- Full pension after completion of 25 years service.